Board Policy 5145.7
The Board of Trustees is committed to maintaining a school environment that is free from harassment. The Board prohibits sexual harassment of any student by another student, an employee or other person, at school or at a school-sponsored activity. The Board also prohibits retaliatory behavior or action against any person who complains, testifies, assists, or otherwise participates in the complaint process established in accordance with this policy.
Any student who engages in sexual harassment of anyone at school or at a school-sponsored or school-related activity is in violation of this policy and shall be subject to disciplinary action. For students in grades 4 through 12, disciplinary action may include suspension and/or expulsion.
Administrative procedure 5145.7 states that prohibited sexual harassment includes, but is not limited to, unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal, visual or physical conduct of a sexual nature. Types of conduct which are prohibited in the District and which may constitute sexual harassment include, but are not limited to:
- Unwelcome sexual flirtations or propositions.
- Sexual slurs, epithets, threats, verbal abuse, derogatory comments, or sexually degrading descriptions.
- Graphic verbal comments about an individual’s body or overly personal conversation.
- Sexual jokes, stories, drawings, pictures, or gestures.
- Spreading sexual rumors.
- Teasing or sexual remarks about students enrolled in a predominantly single-sex class.
- Touching an individual’s body or clothes in a sexual way.
- Limiting a student’s access to educational tools.
- Purposefully cornering or blocking of normal movements.
- Displaying sexually suggestive objects.
Any student who feels that he/she is being harassed should immediately contact the principal or designee or another District administrator in order to obtain a copy of BP & AR 1312.3-Uniform Complaint Procedures. Complaints of harassment can be filed in accordance with these procedures.