skip to main content

Intra/Inter District Transfer Information

Intradistrict transfers

Intradistrict transfers

Intradistrict Attendance Permits (requests to attend a different school within RUSD)
Please click on the link to access forms for intradistrict transfers.
Procedure for Intradistrict Attendance Permits for 7-12 School Students
1. A parent/guardian whose child meets the criteria listed below and requests their child to attend a school other than the resident area school must submit to the resident school an Intradistrict Attendance Permit after January 1st.  The applications may be considered for the following reasons:
  • Medical requirements (i.e. proximity to treatment centers, specialized programs for physically impaired, medical transportation accessibility, etc.).  A physician's recommendation must be attached to the Intradistrict Attendance Permit specifically indicating the medical reason for attendance at a particular school.
  • Alternative placement per directive of the courts and/or state/county juvenile agencies.
  • Assigned placement through the special education program offices.
  • Continued enrollment in JROTC.
  • Sibling attending the school of choice.
  • Extenuating circumstances approved by both principals.
2.  An Intradistrict Attendance Permit shall not imply any obligation on the part of the district to furnish transportation in any form. Transportation becomes the responsibility of the parent/guardian when they choose for their child to attend a school outside their attendance area.
3. Incoming siblings of students attending a high school on an Intradistrict Attendance Permit will be asked to confirm their intention to submit an application, in order to attend the same high school.
4.  Approval of the Intradistrict Attendance Permit may be revoked and the student transferred immediately to the residence area school for the following reasons:
  • Falsification of address, medical or legal verification, or
  • Failure to comply with the requirements of the JROTC program to which the student applied.
  • When behavior, attendance, or poor academic performance warrant a return to the school of residence.This decision is the responsibility of the principal/designee and that decision is final.
5. It will be the responsibility of the parent/guardian to notify the school office when there is a change of address for the student and provide proof of residence.
6. After the first year on an approved Intradistrict Attendance Permit, the student will be given the same priority as a resident student for enrollment purposes after attending 85% of the school year. In cases when the district declares that a school is impacted, if the student is still completing his/her first year at the school, he/she will not be considered a resident student.
7. When there is a change of address, the parent/guardian may elect to keep the student in the school he/she is attending for the remainder of the school year, by submitting an Intradistrict Attendance Permit, or transfer the student to the residence area school based on the student's new address.
8. If the student participates in any athletic program governed by the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF), he/she may not be eligible to participate at the new school. Parents/guardians should check the CIF rules before submitting this application.
9.  A student on an Intradistrict Attendance Permit who requests to return to the school of residence can do so only at the beginning of the following school year.  The request will be honored only if space is available and all other student expectations have been met.  Exceptions may be considered due to extreme hardships.
Special Education Students and Students With Section 504 Accommodations Plans
Parents/guardians of students with disabilities will follow the same Intradistrict Attendance Permit process a parents/guardians of nondisabled students, subject to Board policy and regulations.  However, the district must ensure a Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) for students with disabilities.  Therefore, prior to finalizing the approval of a transfer for a student with disabilities, the Individualized Education Program (IEP) team or the Section 504 team will be required to determine if the student can be provided FAPE at the school of choice.
Procedure for Transfer when Balancing Classroom or School Size
Every reasonable effort will be made to ensure against excessive re-directing of students.  The following exceptions shall be considered:
1.         Change of boundary lines when new schools open
2.         When boundary lines are adjusted to form a new attendance area
3.         The necessity to move an entire class or grade level
4.         When the school of residence is full or declared to be impacted


Interdistrict Attendance Permits (requests to attend a school outside of RUSD)
Please click on the link to access forms for interdistrict transfers.
Interdistrict Applications and supporting documentation may be emailed to or faxed to 916-630-2226
The District has established a process to evaluate requests for students who reside in our District but are requesting to attend school in another district. This process is called an Interdistrict Transfer Permit. The permit must be approved by both districts in order to allow the student to enroll. Students currently attending another district on a previously approved Interdistrict Attendance Permit will continue to be approved on an annual basis by the district of residence (renewal).
Use the Rocklin Unified School District Application for Interdistrict Attendance Permit if you are a resident of Rocklin and wish to transfer to a different school district. If you reside in another district and wish to transfer to a Rocklin school, you will start the process at your district of residence.
The Superintendent or designee may approve Interdistrict Attendance Permits for the following reasons:
1. To meet the child care needs of the student.  Such students may be allowed to continue to attend district schools only as long as they continue to use a child care provider within district boundaries
2. To meet the student's special mental or physical health needs as certified by a physician, school psychologist, or other appropriate school personnel, with concurrence from the district (cf. 6159 - Individualized Education Program)
3. When the student has a sibling attending school in the receiving district, to avoid splitting the family's attendance
4. To allow the student to complete a school year when his/her parents/guardians have moved out of the district during that year
5. To allow the student to remain with a class graduating that year from an elementary, middle, or senior high school
6. To allow a high school senior to attend the same school he/she attended as a junior, even if his/her family moved out of the district during the junior year
7. When the parent/guardian provides written evidence that the family will be moving into the district in the immediate future and would like the student to start the year in the district
8. When the student will be living out of the district for one year or less
9.  To participate in a special academic program not offered in the district of residence
10. To provide a change in school environment for reasons of personal and social adjustment
11. When recommended by the School Attendance Review Board or by county, child welfare, probation, or social service agency staff in documented cases of serious home or community problems which make it unadvisable for the student to attend the school of residence.
12. When the parent/guardian has provided proof of employment within the district boundaries. (cf.5111.12 – Residency Based on Parent/Guardian Employment)
13. Other reasons not included on the Interdistrict Attendance Permits
Interdistrict Attendance Permits shall not be required for students enrolling in a regional occupational center or program.  (Education Code 52317)
Every Interdistrict Attendance Permit shall stipulate the terms and conditions under which the permit may be revoked.  (Education Code 46600).
Examples of conditions that may result in revocation include falsification of information stated on the permit application, unsatisfactory attendance, continual disruption, or poor academic achievement.
The Interdistrict Attendance Permit may also be revoked when behavior, grades and/or attendance issues warrant a return to the school of attendance. This decision is the responsibility of the principal/designee and that decision is final.
Each Interdistrict Attendance Permit shall stipulate the terms and conditions established by both districts under which Interdistrict Attendance shall be permitted, denied, or revoked, and any standards for reapplication.  (Education Code 46600)
Existing Interdistrict Attendance Permits shall not be rescinded for students entering grade 11 or 12 in the subsequent school year.  (Education Code 46600)
The Superintendent or designee may deny initial requests for RUSD Interdistrict Attendance Permits if school facilities are overcrowded at the relevant grade level or based on other considerations that are not arbitrary.  If the district designates a school site to be impacted because of enrollment capacity, other alternatives will be offered to the student.
RUSD employees at that site who have children attending on Interdistrict Attendance Permits will have priority for enrollment only after students who are residents of that attendance area. RUSD employees within the district who have children attending on Interdistrict Attendance Permits will be asked to choose other alternatives. RUSD employees who work at that site but who are hired after the school is declared impacted will be asked to choose other alternatives. (AR 5111.12 Residency based on Parent/Guardian Employment)
Within 30 days of a request for an Interdistrict Attendance Permit, the Superintendent or designee shall notify parents/guardians of a student who is denied Interdistrict Attendance regarding the process for appeal to the County Board of Education as specified in Education Code 46601.  (Education Code 46601) (cf. 5145.6 - Parental Notifications)
Students who are under consideration for expulsion or who have been expelled may not appeal Interdistrict Attendance Permit denials or decisions while expulsion proceedings are pending, or during the term of the expulsion.  (Education Code 46601) (cf. 5119 - Students Expelled from Other Districts) (cf. 5144.1 - Suspension and Expulsion/Due Process)
The district shall not provide transportation outside the school's attendance area.  However, upon request, the Superintendent or designee may authorize transportation for students living outside the attendance area to and from designated bus stops within the attendance area if space is available.  Priority for such transportation shall be based on demonstrated financial need.
Special Education Students
Interdistrict Attendance Permits for students identified for special education must be reviewed by the student's IEP team to determine if the request is related to the student's disability and if the Interdistrict Attendance Permit is necessary for the student to benefit from special education services.  If it is determined that the request is not related to the student's special education program, the request shall be considered parental choice and, as such, is subject to Board policy regulations.  A representative from the requested district of choice must attend the IEP to verify placement availability and determine if a Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) can be provided at the district of choice.